From pools to pavilions, turf to floodlights – our downloadable design and costs advice will help you build long-lasting, high quality sports facilities.
What advice is on offer?
Within each section you will find design guidance, audit and check lists, case studies, cost advice and downloadable information.
For instance sports hall includes:
- Sports halls: design and layouts design guidance notes (DGN)
- Floors for indoor sports (DGN)
- Comparative sizes of sports pitches and courts (DGN)
- New section on developing the right sports hall (DGN)
- Links to capital and lifecycle cost guidance
Other design guidance
This section includes our previously published design guidance notes that have not been moved into the specific guidance sections. Also included are Active Design, Active England, Better Places for Sport and the NGB database.
Cost guidance links directly to information about facility capital and lifecycle costs.
The user guide explains how you can use the information on this site. This includes limitations upon, and conditions of, use of the information. Your use of the information is taken as agreement to the terms.
We shall continue to update many of the existing DGNs and welcome positive contributions by consultants, contractors, specialists and other organisations.
We are unable to provide an individual tailored design service or give project specific responses but offer support through the DGNs and supporting information.
Comments can be forwarded to our online enquiry service at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently asked questions
The FAQs page provides answers to common questions received through our online enquiry service.
- Accessible facilities This guidance will help designers, building owners and operators meet design and operational obligations for accessible sports facilities. Read more
- Artificial sports lighting This guide covers both indoor and outdoor sports lighting and identifies those sports that have special requirements. Read more
- Artificial sports surfaces Covering the design and selection of material for a range of outdoor sports using artificial surfaces. Read more
- Natural turf for sport Natural Turf for Sport provides practical advice on building and maintaining playing fields and sports pitches. Read more
- FAQs Our frequently asked questions support our Tools and Guidance notes and should be referred to for all technical enquiries. Read more
- Swimming pools Offering advice and guidance on the construction of swimming pools, changing rooms and accommodation, including case studies. Read more
- Sports halls Sports halls will offer advice and support regarding the design and planning of specialist facilities. Read more
- Combined wet and dry facilities Read our case studies showcasing quality facilities combining wet and dry components. Read more
- Other design guidance General checklists with links to useful sporting organisations. Read more
- Clubhouses Advice on how to design and build free-standing sports pavilions and clubhouses. Read more
- Procurement and project management FAQs Everything you need to know about procurement and project management. Read more
- Cost guidance We are often asked how much a sports facility costs to build and maintain. So, based on projects we have funded in the past, we have pulled together facility and lifecycle costs to help with planning. Read more
- User guide Conditions apply when referring to any documents and associated attachments hosted within or linked to the Design and Cost Guidance pages and sub-pages of our website. Read more
- Risk register This risk register has been designed to assist National Lottery grant applicants, design teams, and facility operators identify and manage their project risks. Read more