The government's roadmap for the easing of lockdown restrictions is made up of four steps, with Step 4 – which began on 19 July – now in force.
This means that:
- There are no set restrictions on how many people can take part in sport and physical activity, indoors and outdoors
- All forms of activities can take place without set restrictions. We advise you to refer to your national governing body’s (NGB’s) guidance where relevant
- All sports facilities can open, including ancillary facilities. There are no indoor capacity limits, however, venues may put in place some restrictions and guidance for enclosed areas
- Organised sport participation events such as (but not limited to) races, rides and organised walks can take place outdoors with no capacity caps for participants or spectators
- Government guidance for sport and physical activity will provide advice on how to reduce transmission when you're exercising.
Full information on the current rules and what they mean for sport and activity, are on our frequently asked questions (FAQs) page below.
You can also find out about the exemptions for elite sport, as well as information about facilities, travel and test and trace.