This tool sets out the standards we assess in our core-funded sports bodies and provides prompts or Things to Think About in relation to the principles that support those standards.It also provides links to some other specialist websites, which may be of help to you and your organisation.
The Things to Think About self-help tool can be used by all those involved in governing and managing sport, from your Board and senior managers to your finance staff and those who are involved in putting organisation-wide policies in place.
This tool is not an off-the-shelf package that gives instant answers and solutions. Instead, for our core-funded sports bodies it provides a year-round resource which we hope will help you to constructively challenge how you do things as you continue to improve and develop your organisations.
It can also be used by non core-funded sports bodies, at all stages of development, to help you build up your governance, finance and wider control frameworks (including, for example, HR and strategic planning) and may also be useful for sports bodies who are applying to Sport England for recognition as national governing bodies of sport ( NGBs ) under the sports councils' joint National Recognition Policy.
We fully appreciate that organisations (whether they are NGBs or other bodies in the sports system) vary in their legal status, size, complexity and capacity and that the best ways for you to govern and control your organisation will accordingly depend on your particular circumstances. We suggest that you use this tool in a way that works for your organisation and is proportionate to your organisation’s needs.
Information placed in this Governance, Finance and Control Framework section, including the TTTA self-help tool, is for information and guidance only and does not constitute formal professional advice.
As such, no reliance should be placed on the information contained in this website including the website links.
All information relates to governance, finance and control frameworks, not to specific legal, financial or other matters. Where specific issues arise in your organisation advice should be sought from the relevant expert(s) as necessary.
We refer to the content and website disclaimers contained in the Privacy Statement at the bottom of this page.
Please note this guidance is a self-help tool. Sport England and UK Sport are unfortunately unable to provide any further specific support in relation to governance, finance and control matters.
- About the TTTA tool Find out what the tool is based on, why it has been developed and what it links to Read more
- How to use the tool Find out how to use the Things to Think About Tool Read more
- Governance There are three pillars of governance in self-assurance, find out what they are. Read more
- Strategic planning There is one pillar of strategic planning in self-assurance, find out what it is. Read more
- Financial There are three pillars (outcomes) of financial management in self assurance, find out what they are. Read more
- HR There are three pillars (outcomes) of human resources in self assurance, find out what they are. Read more
- Organisational policy There is one pillar (outcome) of organisational policy in self assurance. Read more
- Risk management There is one pillar (outcome) of risk management in self assurance. Read more