There have been pockets of excellent work that highlight the great benefits of engaging in the workforce, coaching and volunteering – but this is one section of our community that we know relatively little about.
Sport, Physical Activity and LGBT report
As a result, we commissioned Pride Sports to undertake a 10 week study examining the levels of participation of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people in sport.
Download the Sport, Physical Activity and LGBT report.
The report looks into the existing research into issues affecting take up and the impact of projects currently out there that are successfully delivering more opportunities for LGBT people.
The study focuses on:
- Initiatives aimed at improving participation
The study also considers how provision that has successfully engaged LGBT people is also working to reduce physical inactivity and to engage those who were previously inactive.
In the implementation of our new strategy, Towards an Active Nation, we will ensure LGBT people have as equal emphasis as other protected characteristics. We are developing some key actions based on the Sport, Physical Activity and LGBT report findings and further details will follow.
In the meantime, if you would like to contribute to discussions, have a case study or a question please contact Jamie Hooper.
Previous research review
Social attitudes and lack of information have hampered policies to ensure an inclusive approach to LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) people in sport, according to a 2008 literature review commissioned by Sport England and the other UK sports councils.
As a result, some LGBT people have given up sport, or hidden their sexuality and gender identity
The report recommended:
- Practical guidance for clubs and other bodies on inclusive support for LGBT people
- Prepare advice sheets on how to provide for transgender people in different sports
- Leadership training about sexual orientation and gender identity equality for all key public officials working in sport.
- Pride Sports Sport, Physical Activity and LGBT report 2016.pdf File size: 3.30MB Download
- Sexual orientation in sport: summary report File size: 0.69MB Download
- Equity (sexual orientation) in sports participation File size: 83KB Download
- Sexual orientation in sport: summary report (1) File size: 0.69MB Download
- Sexual orientation and sport: a literature review File size: 1.22MB Download