Sport in higher education (HE) institutions can encourage students to continue playing sport upon leaving school or college. They can also engage students who do not play sport regularly to take up a new sport that appeals to them.
University Sport Activation Fund
Our University Sport Activation Fund is an £11m investment that was developed to challenge HE institutions to develop their sport offer for students.
The fund aims to:
- Increase regular participation (at least 1x30 minutes per week) in sport by HE students in higher education establishments
- Keep students in sport when they transition from school or college as well as throughout their university time
- Raise the profile of sport within HE and its contribution towards university objectives, demonstrating how sport can contribute to university objectives, specifically employability, student experience and health and well being
- Encourage and support the development of relationships that deliver and sustain participation increases between sport delivery, senior management and other internal partners in HE institutions, as well as local community sport partners.
British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS)
We invest in the BUCS Sport Development Team to assist with getting students to play sport while at university.
They do this by providing opportunities to all students as well as supporting and promoting the lifestyle and educational benefits to all of taking part in sport.
Find out more about BUCS.
- 2015-16 HE Sport Particpation & Satisfaction Survey.pdf File size: 2.48MB Download
- University Sport Activation Fund prospectus.pdf File size: 0.43MB Download
- University Sport Activation Fund Project Summaries.pdf File size: 7.10MB Download
- University Sport Activation Fund Project Summaries(2).pdf File size: 3.66MB Download
- University Sport Activation Fund Six month report.pdf File size: 0.16MB Download
- HE Sport Participation and Satisfaction Survey 2014-15.pdf File size: 1.43MB Download
- University Sport Activation Fund 18 Month Report.pdf File size: 0.33MB Download