We know that people in disadvantaged communities are less likely to get involved in volunteering in sport and physical activities. Yet these are the people and communities that could benefit the most from it.
The Opportunity Fund aims to get people from all backgrounds to volunteer in communities that are economically disadvantaged.
We will invest in projects that benefit people facing disadvantage as a result of the community they live in – and that enable them to make a positive contribution to those communities. These could range from inner-city areas with high levels of crime and social exclusion to remote rural areas with few services.
What we're focusing on
Specifically, we’re focusing on:
- Those most in need – whether that’s because of their health, employment status, income, education, housing, local environment, or a combination of factors.
- People aged 20 or over – although projects which work across different age groups, for example with families or through cross-generational mentoring, may be eligible. If your work is aimed at a younger age group, you should consider applying for the Potentials Fund.
Because we’re committed to reaching new groups, we’re aiming to award at least 50% of the fund to projects delivered by partners who are new to Sport England – or even to sport and physical activity itself.
While your project must contain some element of sport or physical activity, doing social action may be the main motivator rather than the sport or activity itself.
- What do we want to achieve? We want to invest in projects that provide quality volunteering opportunities. Read more
- Potentials Fund We want to help create opportunities that get people helping others from an early age. Read more
- What are we interested in? There are a number of areas we're interested in exploring through our investment in volunteering. Read more
- Who do we want to work with? We’re looking to work with a range of organisations – both those who can deliver proven solutions and those with innovative ideas. Read more
- Application process Applying for investment from our volunteering funds involves a two-stage process. Read more
- Our vision for volunteering Putting the volunteer at the heart of our efforts is a key feature of our new strategy for volunteering. Read more