This page contains a series of our previous guidance documents.
Developing policies for sport
Eight documents available to download.
Facilities Improvement Service (FIS)
The Facilities Improvement Service (FIS) was launched by us in 2007 and was a three year targeted programme designed to offer support to local authorities to strategically plan for sports facilities. The development of the FIS came from:
- The need to improve strategic planning in relation to sports provision as highlighted in the 2006 Audit Commission and 2007 CLG reports
- The need to ensure a robust evidence base for sport and recreation was being presented in Local Development Framework Core Strategies
- The contribution that sport can make to addressing obesity issues
- The need to address the age and quality of sports facilities – 'the ticking time bomb'
- Opportunities for sport and recreation from the BSF and HE / FE programmes;
- Opportunities likely to arise from London 2012
- Opportunities from housing growth
As the service developed, a methodology for working, lessons learnt and best practice was collated. This has been brought together in a toolkit, which was used by other local authorities not in the service to strategically plan for sports facilities. The programme finished in July 2010 and lessons learnt information will be published shortly. The services offered in the FIS are still available under the Strategic Planning Panel in the Strategic Planning Framework for Sport.
12 documents available to download.
Sixteen documents available to download.
Previous 2007 Active Design guidance. New 2015 Active Design guidance available at www.sportengland.org/activedesign.
- Proofing for Sport and Active Recreation (2009) File size: 0.30MB Download
- Spatial Planning for Sport: Development Control Guidance Note (2009) File size: 0.45MB Download
- Spatial Planning for Sport: Guidance on Sport England’s Aspirations and Experience (2005) File size: 0.49MB Download
- Spatial Planning for Sport: Creating Regional Policy (2009) File size: 0.33MB Download
- Spatial Planning for Sport: Creating Local Policy (2009) File size: 0.52MB Download
- Spatial Planning for Sport: Sport and Area Action Plans (2009) File size: 0.45MB Download
- Spatial Planning for Sport: Sport and Recreation in Supplementary Planning Documents (2009) File size: 0.27MB Download
- Development Plan Document Policy Examples Relating to Sport (2009) File size: 0.70MB Download
- FIS Toolkit (2009) File size: 0.58MB Download
- FIS Fit for Purpose Framework File size: 0.13MB Download
- FIS Linking facility planning into the wider local agenda File size: 0.21MB Download
- FIS LS&RS Guidance for Implementation File size: 0.15MB Download
- FIS Guide to producing a PPG 17 brief File size: 71KB Download
- FIS Commissioning Framework File size: 0.14MB Download
- FIS Guidance note on NI8 File size: 53KB Download
- FIS Southampton Draft Vision File size: 37KB Download
- FIS Southampton Interview Topics File size: 50KB Download
- FIS Brochure File size: 43KB Download
- FIS Gateway log File size: 0.38MB Download
- Planning Bulletin 20 File size: 1.65MB Download
- Planning Bulletin 19 File size: 1.03MB Download
- Planning Bulletin 18 - Sports Clubs and Club Development (2006) File size: 1.28MB Download
- Planning Bulletin 17 - Improving Access to the Countryside (2006) File size: 3.00MB Download
- Planning Bulletin 16 - School Sites and Community Sports Provision (2004) File size: 1.61MB Download
- Planning Bulletin 15 - Strategic Planning for Sport Revisited (2004) File size: 2.58MB Download
- Planning Bulletin 13 - Sport in the Green Belt (2003) File size: 1.11MB Download
- Planning Bulletin 12 - Planning for Open Space (2002) File size: 1.17MB Download
- Planning Bulletin 11 - Commercial Sports Provision (2002) File size: 1.84MB Download
- Planning Bulletin 10 - Sport and Regeneration (2001) File size: 1.79MB Download
- Planning Bulletin 9 - Planning for water sports (2001) File size: 1.61MB Download
- Planning Bulletin 8 - Playing Fields for Sport Revisited File size: 1.16MB Download
- Planning Bulletin 7 - Stadia, football academies and Centres of Excellence (2000) File size: 1.32MB Download
- Planning Bulletin 6 - Land Based Motor Sports (1999) File size: 1.27MB Download
- Planning Bulletin 5 - Sport in the Urban Fringe (1999) File size: 5.55MB Download
- Planning Bulletin 3 - Intensive Use Sports Facilities (1998) File size: 4.61MB Download
- Active design matrix (March 2007) File size: 0.55MB Download
- Active design criteria (March 2007) File size: 4.43MB Download
- Active Design - Stakeholder Session 1 - May 2006.pdf File size: 8.19MB Download
- Active Design - Stakeholder Session 2 - Oct 2006.pdf File size: 2.94MB Download
- Active Design Phase 1 (Sept 2005).pdf File size: 6.58MB Download