The floods in 2015 caused significant damage to buildings and machinery on many sports club facilities as well as depositing harmful sediment and waste on pitches.
Floods as large as these are relatively rare. However, many clubs are affected by more regular flooding, such as on the far corner of a playing field or in the grounds shed.
There is much that can be done to help reduce the risk of flood damage and mitigate its impact when it occurs.
Guidance and information
Working with a number of national governing bodies for sport (The Football Association, Rugby Football Union, Rugby Football League, England and Wales Cricket Board, Lawn Tennis Association and England Hockey), we have produced a set of information sheets and a downloadable template for clubs and facility managers to help them find out whether their facilities are at risk of flooding.
If facilities are at risk, the templates will also help clubs and facility managers to develop a flood plan and other strategies that will help reduce the impact of flooding.
The guidance includes:
- How to plan ahead – what to do to minimise the impact of future flooding of sports facilities
- Developing a club flood plan – making sure everyone knows what to do in a flood
- A flood plan template
- Flood resilient design – how to make sports facilities more resilient to flooding
- What to do to minimise the impact of flooding following a flood alert/flood warning
- After the flood (buildings) – how to recover from a flood safely and quickly
- After the flood (pitches and courts) – how to recover from a flood safely and quickly
You can download all of this information below.
The England and Wales Cricket Board has also produced flood relief case studies, which can be viewed on the ECB website.
- File size: 293KB How To Plan Ahead Download
- File size: 298KB Developing A Club Flood Plan Download
- File size: 369KB Club Flood Plan Download
- File size: 295KB Flood Alert Warning Received Download
- File size: 292KB Flood Resilient Design Download
- File size: 306KB After The Flood Buildings Download
- File size: 316KB After The Flood Pitches And Courts Download