It will also provide practical advice on building and maintaining playing fields and sports pitches, including:
- Design guidance
- Standard pitch layouts
- Construction specifications
This guide, published in 2000, was developed in consultation with national governing bodies, sports turf specialists, and contractor associations.
Layouts or plans of natural turf pitches to support diagrams in the Natural Turf for Sport Guide (October 2013) are also available to download below. There is a different document for each sport.
We have been working closely with the Football Association, England and Wales Cricket Board and Institute of Groundsmanship to develop a document (February 2014) that identifies the key issues and to show, through a series of useful tips and case studies, how football and cricket can enjoy a long future of working together.
Comparative sizes of sports pitches and courts
This updated guidance (2015) – now with separate documents for indoor and outdoor sports – is intended to give an overview comparison of space requirements for an extended range of sports and reflect the most up-to-date national governing body (NGB) facility requirements.
These documents have been fully endorsed by the NGBs at the time of publication.
- Comparative Sizes of Sports Pitches & Courts (indoors)
- Comparative Sizes of Sports Pitches & Courts (outdoors)
Our Equivalent Quality Assessment of Playing Fields briefing note provides technical guidance on how, when proposals for replacement playing fields are reviewed, the quality of pitches should be assessed to meet Exception E4 of our Playing Fields Policy.
It describes a robust assessment process to determine whether proposals will in practice provide the 'equivalent quality' replacement playing fields that are required to meet this exception.
Site feasibility reports
Within this section, there are generic Feasibility Reports (2013) that identify the key issues for bringing recreational space into formal sporting use and issues on a regularly waterlogged pitch requiring improvements.
Our FAQs cover the most frequently asked questions relating to planning, design, construction, and maintenance of natural turf pitches.
For enquiries regarding specific sports, we also recommend contacting the appropriate national governing body of the sport.
- File size: 44KB FAQ Natural Turf October 2012 Download
- File size: 1581KB Mowsbury Park Natural Turf Pitches Download
- File size: 98KB Natural Turf Baseball Download
- File size: 147KB Natural Turf Senior Cricket 8 Pitch Download
- File size: 2810KB Natural Turf For Sport Download
- File size: 93KB Natural Turf Softball (1) Download
- File size: 1208KB Kitbag NT Cricket Winter Pitch 2013 Download
- File size: 740KB Kitbag NT Football Senior 2 2013 Download
- File size: 694KB Kitbag NT Football U7-U8 2013 Download
- File size: 785KB Kitbag NT Rugby League Senior 2013 Download
- File size: 801KB Kitbag NT Rugby Union Senior 2013 Download
- File size: 1479KB Success Management of Dual Use Cricket and Football Sites Download
- File size: 2373KB Feasibility Report Any Town waterlogged pitch Download
- File size: 2166KB Feasibility Report Any Town informal grass area Download
- File size: 133KB Life Cycle Costs - Natural Turf Download
- File size: 751KB Equivalent Quality Assessment of Playing Fields - briefing note Download