While facilities can be developed in isolation – for example, a standalone swimming pool or sports hall – the solution from a needs and evidence base often requires a combined 'wet and dry' offer.
Facilities in isolation often struggle to break even in financial terms and therefore the offer is increased so that the facility can potentially generate a surplus and become financially sustainable.
Within this section, there are case studies of quality facilities that combine wet and dry components which enable users to experience a wide offer, including:
- 25m 6-8 lane swimming pool
- Learner pool (typically a smaller shallower pool)
- Sports hall (often referred to as a “four court sports hall”– meaning four x badminton courts, albeit the hall can potentially cater for a wide variety of sports)
- Health and Fitness – typically a fitness gym of 50-100 individual stations (pieces of kit) plus separate studio(s) for aerobics, Zumba and other keep fit activities
- Catering area (café/vending).
Some larger centres can include:
- 50m swimming pool (often referred to as Olympic size)
- Larger 8-10-12 court sports hall
- Climbing wall
- Indoor bowls
Please refer to our other design and cost guidance for details on specific sports.
- File size: 5441KB Tadworth Leisure and Community Centre - 2016.pdf Download
- File size: 3329KB Bedfordshire - Flitwick Leisure Centre (Comp 2016).pdf Download
- File size: 3165KB Chesterfield - Queens Park Sports Centre (Comp 2016).pdf Download
- File size: 3221KB Ellesmere Port Sports Village Download
- File size: 3026KB Forest Hill Pool, London Download
- File size: 2738KB Gosport Leisure Centre Download
- File size: 1829KB Ironmonger Row Baths, London Download
- File size: 2573KB Warrington Orford Park Sports Village Download
- File size: 2437KB York Sport Village Download
- File size: 2799KB The Lakeside Centre, Killingworth Download
- File size: 2799KB Xcel Leisure Centre, Coventry Download
- File size: 2784KB Clapham Leisure Centre, London Download
- File size: 2318KB Arc Leisure Centre, Matlock Download
- File size: 3042KB Abbey Stadium Leisure Centre, Redditch Download
- File size: 2501KB Godalming Leisure Centre, Surrey Download
- File size: 2966KB Sun Lane Leisure Centre, Wakefield Download
- File size: 2833KB Corby International Pool Download
- File size: 1366KB K2 Crawley Leisure Centre Download
- File size: 2770KB Sandwell Portway Lifestyle Centre Download