We believe sporting opportunities should be open to all and we are committed to:
- Developing a culture that enables and values everyone’s full involvement
- Creating an environment in which everyone has opportunities to play, compete, officiate, coach, volunteer and run community sport.
- Overcoming potential barriers for those wishing to play sport, particularly if they are from groups who are currently under-represented in sport
How we ensure equality
Sport England’s Equality & Diversity team:
- Working with equality organisations in sport and reviewing the Equality Standard for Sport
- Challenging the national governing bodies of sport to consider how they can encourage the more people from currently under-represented groups to play sport
- Offering specific additional funding to smaller, less well-funded sports that have the opportunity to appeal to diverse communities
- Seeking out opportunities to work with community groups capable of delivering ‘break-through’ with different parts of the population
- Working towards Investors in Diversity accreditiation to ensure we work in a way that supports diversity and inclusivity
Equality through partnership
We help partners such as national governing bodies deliver sporting opportunities to as many people as possible – and particularly to groups who experience specific issues that may prevent them participating regularly in sport.
We do this by working directly with:
We also develop partnerships with other equality groups.
There are a number of additional organisations that can provide further information both on equality within sport and on equality issues generally.