Do we need to provide insurance cover for volunteers?

Yes. As a minimum you will need employer’s liability and/or public liability insurance. The National Council for Voluntary Organisations offers guidance on insurance.

Sports clubs need to consider staff, participants and the general public in their insurance requirements – as well as volunteers. So you’ll need to consider all of these groups together when choosing the type of insurance that’s right for your club. See more information from Club Matters about risk insurance.

Volunteer Scotland has a good practice guide on insurance for volunteers.

See the following links for more information:

NCVO: Guidance on insurance

Club Matters - Risk insurance

Volunteer Scotland - Good practice guide