I’m concerned that one of our volunteers may have done something to harm someone else. What should I do? Do I need to refer them to the DBS?

If the harm you’re concerned about would mean that the person has broken the law, then this makes it a matter for the police. If you’re concerned about harm to children or vulnerable adults then this should be covered by your club’s safeguarding policy, which should outline the procedure you should follow.

If your volunteer has been involved in regulated activity with children or vulnerable adults,

then you do need to refer your concerns to the DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service), but they should be investigated first before a referral is made.

See the following links for more information:

Club Matters - Child protection

Gov.uk - Refer your concerns

Gov.uk - Definition of regulated activity