Funding FAQs

There are a lot of common questions that we are asked about our funding process and the answers to these are listed below.

If your question is not answered please feel free to email or call us on 08458 508 508.


Does Sport England fund individuals?

Sport England does not fund individuals or teams, either through sponsorship or donations. We also do not provide educational support so you would not be eligible to apply for any of our funding programmes.   

However, you may be eligible for funding from another source, please find further information in the FAQ 'Where else can I seek funding from?'

Can I get funding to take a coaching course?

Sport England does not fund individuals directly but if you are involved with a club could consider applying to our Small Grants fund to qualify additional coaches.

Can my club get funding for new equipment?

Our Small Grants programme will consider funding the costs of new additional equipment so more people can take part but cannot replace any old or broken equipment.

Who can apply for funding?

You are eligible to apply for Lottery funding if your organisation is a:

  • Fully constituted club, association or trust - an organisation, generally within the voluntary sector, with its own constitution or memorandum and articles of association.
  • Community amateur sports clubs (CASC) - an organisation registered with HMRC as a community amateur sports club.
  • Local authority – county councils, metropolitan district councils, unitary authorities, district councils and the London boroughs.
  • Local education authority – a local education authority on its own behalf, or on behalf of a community school.
  • Foundation school or college – although run by the local education authority, the school retains control over admissions, employment of staff, land and buildings.
  • Voluntary aided or controlled school - although financed and maintained by the local education authority, the school's assets are held and administered by trustees.
  • Independent school or college – a school or college for fee-paying students that does not receive a government grant.
  • Institute of further education - a college or other institution that provides further education.
  • Institute of higher education (including universities) – a university or college that provides higher education.
  • Other public sector statutory body - other public sector organisations established by statute or statutory powers such as parish and town councils.
  • Community Interest Company (CIC) – a limited company created for the use of people who want to conduct a business or other activity for community benefit, and not purely for private advantage) and you have a suitable asset lock clause.
  • National governing body (NGB) - a recognised governing body for sport
  • Private sector company or business – a commercially-run organisation where by all profits on the project are ring fenced and not for private gain.
  • Industrial Provident Society – an organisation trading for the benefit of its community which is registered with the Financial Services Authority. 

Can I see a sample application form?

Dummy versions of application forms can be located on the relevant funding programme web pages.

You can print these so you can see what is involved before making your online application.

Can I find out what you have funded?

You can find details of the Lottery and Exchequer funding awards we have made here.

Where else can I apply for funding from?

There are a number of other sources of funding that organisations can apply to, these include:

  • Cash 4 Clubs
    Cash 4 Clubs offers all sports clubs in the UK the chance to win grants ranging from £250 to £1000. It is a simple scheme aimed at giving community clubs a helping hand and provide the opportunity to raise the money they need to invest in their club.

  • DSC Sports Funding Guide
    The Sports Funding Guide is a practical guide aimed at helping organisations and individuals looking to raise money and win support for their sport. Available from Amazon and Directory of Social Change.

  • Directory of social change funding websites
    Some of these links are by subscription only but local libraries may have copies of the associated publications:
         - Grants for individuals
         - Trust Funding
         - Company Giving
         - The government

  • Educational Grants and Charitable Trusts
    EGAS offers students, especially disadvantaged students, expert guidance and advice to enable them to secure funding for education and training.

  • FunderFinder
    Some of the searches on this site are free but some may be by subscription only.

  • The Football Foundation
    The Football Foundation directs £40m every year into grassroots sport

  • The Fundraising Directory
    Ideas, information and contacts for all UK fundraisers

  • Grantsnet
    Grantsnet is a search engine for grants available to UK organisations

  • j4b Grants
    A free database community groups can use to search for grants and funding

  • Lottery funding
    A free joint website run by all Lottery funders in the UK. This site allows you to search information on current funding programmes across the UK

  • NCVO Funding Central
    Free grants search database (helpful for organisations)

  • The Rob George Foundation
    Provides financial support to young people who demonstrate exceptional commitment / ability in the world of sport but are held back by their financial situation from pursuing their goals.

  • SportsAid
    Provides funding for young people between the ages of 12 and 18

  • UK Sport 
    UK Sport is a government agency responsible for developing high performance sport in the UK

I cannot accept National Lottery funding for religious reasons, can you help?

If you may not accept National Lottery funding for religious reasons, we do have some very limited to scope to fund some smaller projects (for example through our Inspired Facilities or Small Grants programmes) from other sources. Given the extremely limited availability, large scale projects are very unlikely to be funded without Lottery funds. You should apply using our normal application material and include a letter stating why you may not accept National Lottery funds. We will assess your application in the same way that we assess all applications. If we decide to offer you a grant, and provided an alternative source of funds is available, your grant will not come from our National Lottery income.

What is additionality?

Additionality is one of the criteria that we must consider when assessing funding applications, you can find out more about it here.