Since the London Olympics and Paralympics in 2012, England has played host to over 40 major sporting events – world-class events such as the European Swimming Championships and the Track Cycling World Championships.
Over £35m of UK Sport and National Lottery support has been invested in winning these bids and organising the events. As such, we have committed to working with UK Sport, DCMS and the relevant national governing bodies over the next four years to ensure that we think creatively about generating the greatest possible return from these events.
Our Major Events Engagement Fund investment guide outlines the two ways that we're looking to invest in organisations and make the most of major events.
Our strategy Towards an Active Nation commits us to investing £2m in organisations that can either engage less physically active individuals or develop their business to generate a better financial return. Our two investment objectives include:
- To help national governing bodies (NGBs) hosting major events evolve their business model and derive a greater financial return from their existing customers (players, volunteers, spectators)
- To develop programmes that engage with individuals local to the major event, who are currently less likely to take part regularly in sport or physical activity.
This guidance document also outlines our investment principles and criteria and gives detail on how to apply for investment.
Find out more and download our investment guide, eligibility criteria and application forms – including finance template – below.
Funding major events
In addition to our Major Events Engagement Fund, we're also launching a new fund of up to £1m to support prospective hosts in developing their bids to bring major events to England.
This additional fund will bring a coordinated approach to bidding across the country and ensure that the best bid for an event from England is identified and supported as the preferred candidate. The fund aligns to the DCMS Gold Framework and will support events identified by UK Sport through the Gold Event Series.
If you think you and your event are eligible for support from this fund and you would like to discuss further, please email: email@example.com
- Major Events Engagement Fund - Investment Guide.pdf File size: 0.22MB Download
- Major Events Engagement Fund - Bidding Support Eligibility.pdf File size: 62KB Download
- Objective 1 Application Form.docx File size: 0.10MB Download
- Objective 2 Application Form.docx File size: 0.10MB Download
- Major Events Finance Template.xlsx File size: 12KB Download