Our guidance covers a range of outdoor sports using artificial grass pitches, needle punch play surfaces, and polymeric surfaces.
Our guide on artificial surfaces for outdoor sports replaces our original design guide, Multi-Use Games Areas Volumes 1. It focuses on design issues for a wide range of outdoor sports, including:
- Single-sports-use courts
- Multi-use games areas (MUGAs) with artificial surfaces constructed from various combinations of man-made materials.
It focuses on making the best use of these facilities, whether they are based in new or existing schools, local parks, sports clubs or as part of larger regeneration projects.
Selecting the right artificial surface
This guidance note (revision two) has been developed by:
- Sport England
- England Hockey Board
- Football Association
- Football Foundation
- Rugby Football League
- Rugby Football Union.
It provides a simple, consistent methodology and approach to selecting the right type of artificial grass surface for playing hockey, football, rugby union and rugby league.
Our updated guidance (2015) on comparative sizes of sports pitches and courts, now with separate documents for indoor and outdoor sports, is intended to provide a comparison of space requirements for a range of sports and reflect the most up-to-date NGB facility requirements.
These documents have been fully endorsed by the NGBs at the time of publication.
- Comparative Sizes of Sports Pitches & Courts (indoors)
- Comparative Sizes of Sports Pitches & Courts (outdoors)
Artificial grass pitch layouts
Downloadable layouts or plans of artificial grass pitches (updated October 2013) are available to download in the carousel below. The plans are currently only available in Adobe Reader (pdf) format and include:
- Artificial Grass Pitch (AGP) Acoustics - Planning Implications
- Briefing note: Recycling of Artificial Grass Carpets
- Briefing note: Artificial Flat Green Bowls
The case studies below highlight examples of good quality sports facilities that have made effective use of their artificial surfaces. Examples include:
- Coram's Field, London – AGP modernisation (completed 2013) – example of the modernisation of an artificial pitch to 3G long pile carpet. Works carried out and managed by our Framework Contractor and Consultants
- Gloucester – Blackbridge Athletics Track (completed 2012) – refurbishment of an existing athletics track, including repositioning of the long/triple jump runway, widening of the main straight to eight lanes, replacement of the porous artificial surfacing to the track, new throwing cage, refurbished shot put facilities, and installation of new sports lighting
- London – Ravenscourt Park (completed 2012) – this project, located in the existing Ravenscourt Park in the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham, involved construction of basketball and netball facilities around a mature tree, together with seating for spectators and participants
- Lilleshall National Sports Centre – Hockey Pitches (completed Nov 2014) – two water based artificial grass hockey pitches, both with irrigation and lighting, have been built side-by-side on a greenfield site at the centre
- Leicestershire - Sileby Memorial Park (completed 2014) – this project saw the refurbishment and extension of a concrete skatepark originally constructed in 2004 to create a legacy from the debut of BMX as a new Olympic sport at the London 2012 Games.
Artificial grass pitch layouts
- File size: 1064KB Kitbag AGP Football Senior 1 2013 Download
- File size: 1127KB Kitbag AGP Football Senior 2 2013 Download
- File size: 1046KB Kitbag AGP Football U9-U10 2013 Download
- File size: 1132KB Kitbag AGP Hockey Senior 1 2013 Download
- File size: 1177KB Kitbag AGP Hockey Senior 2 2013 Download
- File size: 1173KB Kitbag AGP Rugby League 2013 Download
- File size: 1178KB Kitbag AGP Rugby Union 2013 Download
- File size: 1190KB Kitbag AGP Flat Green Bowls 2013 Download
- File size: 2551KB Kitbag Athletics Track 6 Lane 2013 Download
- File size: 2574KB Kitbag Athletics Track 8 Lane 2013 Download
- File size: 149KB ASOS - multi Use (Hockey and Soccer) Pitch with floodlights Download
- File size: 145KB ASOS - Type 4 or 5 MUGA with sports lighting Download
- File size: 3580KB Artificial Surfaces for Outdoor Sports 2013 Download
- File size: 1867KB Artificial Grass Pitch (AGP) Acoustics - Planning Implications Download
- File size: 1400KB Artificial Flat Green Bowls Briefing Note 2013 Download
- File size: 910KB Gloucester - Blackbridge Athletics Track Download
- File size: 2704KB London Feltham Community College Comp 2012 Download
- File size: 1470KB York Acomb Cricket Club Comp 2012 Download
- File size: 1174KB Merton St Marks Academy Comp 2012 Download
- File size: 2850KB Leicestershire - Sileby Memorial Park Download
- File size: 3106KB London - Ravenscroft Park Download
- File size: 935KB Northumberland The King Edward VI School Comp 2011 Download
- File size: 1964KB Case Study - Lillieshall National Sports Centre Hockey Pitches Download
- File size: 2728KB Croydon Coloma Convent Girls School Comp 2011 Download
- File size: 2575KB Coram's Field, London - AGP modernisation Download