Modern day living can make us inactive, and very few of us ever manage the recommended amount of weekly exercise.
We know sport isn’t for everyone but more activity can improve health, increase wellbeing and build stronger communities.
Watch our film below and read our case studies to find out about Active Design.
Encouraging activity in everyday lives
Active Design is about designing and adapting where we live to encourage activity in our everyday lives.
It’s a combination of 10 principles that promote activity, health and stronger communities through the way we design and build our towns and cities.
That's why we, in partnership with Public Health England, have produced the Active Design Guidance.
This guidance builds on the original objectives of improving accessibility, enhancing amenity and increasing awareness, and sets out the 10 principles of Active Design.
Our 10 principles have been developed to inspire and inform the layout of cities, towns, villages, neighbourhoods, buildings, streets and open spaces, to promote sport and active lifestyles.
The guide features an innovative set of guidelines to get more people moving through better design and layout.
Watch the film below to learn more about the 10 principles.
We have also produced three case studies that detail real-life examples of the 10 principles in action. These new case studies complement the examples found in the Active Design Guide.
Download the Active Design Guide and case studies below.
These case studies are designed to encourage planners, urban designers, developers and health professionals to create the right environment to help people get more active, more often.
The Active Design principles are aimed at contributing towards the Government's desire for the planning system to promote healthy communities through good urban design.
Active Design has been produced in partnership with David Lock Associates, specialists in town planning and urban design.
- File size: 25381KB Active Design Hi-res Oct 2015 Download
- File size: 9329KB Active Design Low-res Oct 2015 Download
- File size: 1903KB Active Design - Active Parks Case Study March 2017.pdf Download
- File size: 1369KB Active Design - Our Parks Case Study March 2017.pdf Download
- File size: 2793KB Active Design - The National Forest Case Study March 2017.pdf Download
- File size: 256KB Active Design - Checklist Oct 2015.pdf Download
- File size: 617KB Active Design - How to use section Oct 2015.pdf Download
- File size: 6581KB Active Design - Case Studies Oct 2015.pdf Download